- Soil Side Bottom (SSB) corrosion of a tank that is in or out of service and has a concrete, bitumen, compacted sand or soil foundation.
- The opportunity costs when storage tanks are out of operation can be crippling.
- Tank operators have to suspend operations in order to complete patchwork repairs, or replace the entire bottoms.
- Storage tank leaks caused by bottom plate corrosion are hazardous to the environment.
Zerust Vapor Corrosion Inhibitors (VCIs) Are A Cost-Effective Way to Control Corrosion. Zerust Oil & Gas ReCAST Soil Side Bottom solutions provide a cost-effective means to mitigate underside corrosion of aboveground storage tanks while the tanks are in or out of service. Whether tank single or double bottoms rest on compacted sand, concrete, soil or bitumen, Zerust Oil & Gas has a solution to extend the serviceable life of these assets. Listed below are Zerust’s methods of introducing a VCI to the tank bottom environment, based on the design of the foundation and whether the tank is in service or out of service.
The ReCAST-SSB Underside Drip Tube is an innovative solution that protects tank bottom plates of single or double bottom tanks during construction or new floor installation. A network of perforated PVC pipes with mesh sleeves are installed in rings on top of the tank liner in the sand foundation. Inlet pipes penetrate the ring wall, allowing access points to the PVC pipe system. The tank chime is sealed, preventing the ingress of moisture and contaminants from entering the system. Low-viscosity inhibitor slurry is pumped into the designated ring wall port(s) into the sand bed, and the perforated PVC pipe network distributes the slurry evenly throughout the system. The VCIs are released from the sand bed, protecting the metal bottom plates of the tank. Conversely, the SCIs in the inhibitor neutralize contaminants in the sand bed. The injection port(s) can be used for future inhibitor injections.
- ReCAST SSB systems can be replenished while the tank is in operation.
- Can be combined with simple monitoring procedures to ensure effectiveness of the solution.
- Corrosion protection for voids and interstices that are impossible to protect with other methods.
- Protection for tank bottom plates and welds with little to no surface preparation. Innovative and cost effective.
- VCIs offer non-permanent corrosion protection at the molecular level that is safe and eco-friendly.
- VCI dispersion ensures uniform distribution across the tank bottom.
- Maintenance time is significantly reduced