- Offshore oil platforms, refineries, and other such facilities typically operate in a humid, aggressive corrosion environment. Corrosion of automation systems, electrical control boxes, retail fuel pump meters, connectors, contacts, relays, switches and printed circuit boards, causes unscheduled maintenance and reliability issues at these facilities. Few enclosures containing electrical equipment can be economically protected by air conditioning or a fully hermetic vacuum seal. Even explosion-proof housings aspirate ambient air through the long thread channel of the cast housings and by diffusion through seals and gaskets. Traditional protection methods such as painting, greases, electrical heaters inside control boxes to prevent condensation, etc. are not effective.
- Problems caused by electrical equipment corrosion include resistivity changes and intermittent contact failures in critical alarm and control functions, added local heating and power loss in critical components, solderability issues for circuit boards, changing the calibration of analog meters and, ultimately the integrity of cabinets are compromised.
For over 30 years, Northern Technologies International Corporation (NTIC) has used proprietary Vapor Corrosion Inhibitors (VCIs) to protect metal substrates across numerous industries. The specific solution recommended for electronics and electrical control boxes is NTIC’s line of Zerust ICT® Vapor Capsules. These capsules are available in various sizes to suit multiple applications.Zerust ICT Vapor Capsules are easily installed in a matter of seconds without tools or specialized labor. Simply peel the cover tape from the adhesive backing and affix to most surfaces. The capsules protect metals for 1 to 2 years, depending on the product model.
The ready-to-use mesh sleeves are primarily meant for dry VCI application where there is also a risk of water ingress. The vapor space protection volume is provided in the table below. For aggressive environments with 1 ppm or higher level of acidic gases, Zerion FVS should be used in combination with Zerion AutoFog™ B. In the event of water ingress/accumulation, Zerion FVS will dissolve out of the packaging and neutralize the threat up to the volume of water indicated in the usage table. For use of Zerion FVS as a water diluted solution for hydro static testing or for tank SSB protection, it is recommended you contact Zerust Oil & Gas for technical support and sizing recommendations.
HOW ZERUST VAPOR CORROSION INHIBITORS (VCIs) WORK
- VCI molecules are released from inside the film into the enclosure.
- The molecules adsorb onto metal surfaces and form a protective layer.
- When the film enclosure is removed, the VCIs dissipate.
- Proven corrosion protection
- Fits restricted spaces
- Safe for electronics
- Reduce corrosion incidences
- Improve equipment reliability and readiness
- Reduce need for inspection & rework
- Save money & resources
- Comes with Zerust global on-site support
Product Sizes & Specifications