- Soil Side Bottom (SSB) corrosion of a tank that is in or out of service and has a concrete, bitumen, compacted sand or soil foundation.
- The opportunity costs when storage tanks are out of operation can be crippling.
- Tank operators have to suspend operations in order to complete patchwork repairs, or replace the entire bottoms.
- Storage tank leaks caused by bottom plate corrosion are hazardous to the environment.
Zerust Vapor Corrosion Inhibitors (VCIs) Are A Cost-Effective Way to Control Corrosion. Zerust Oil & Gas ReCAST Soil Side Bottom solutions provide a cost-effective means to mitigate underside corrosion of aboveground storage tanks while the tanks are in or out of service. Whether tank single or double bottoms rest on compacted sand, concrete, soil or bitumen, Zerust Oil & Gas has a solution to extend the serviceable life of these assets. Listed below are Zerust’s methods of introducing a VCI to the tank bottom environment, based on the design of the foundation and whether the tank is in service or out of service.
The ReCAST-SSB Dry Tube system is designed to protect tank bottom plates during construction or new floor installation. This solution benefits tanks with concrete, bitumen, and compacted sand foundations with or without liners. Shallow trenches are cut into the foundation. Perforated, mesh-covered PVC pipes are placed within the trenches and the trenches are then filled with sand. The tank chime is sealed to prevent the ingress of moisture and contaminants, and dry mesh sleeves of VCI inhibitor are installed into each of the pipe tubes. The system is sealed to allow an enclosed area for the VCIs to rise from the sand in the tube channels, and the VCIs work to mitigate corrosion on the metal bottom plates of the tank.
- ReCAST SSB systems can be replenished while the tank is in operation.
- Can be combined with simple monitoring procedures to ensure effectiveness of the solution.
- Corrosion protection for voids and interstices that are impossible to protect with other methods.
- Protection for tank bottom plates and welds with little to no surface preparation. Innovative and cost effective.
- VCIs offer non-permanent corrosion protection at the molecular level that is safe and eco-friendly.
- VCI dispersion ensures uniform distribution across the tank bottom.
- Maintenance time is significantly reduced